Saturday 10 December 2016

Foxlow

11 Barley Mow Passage
W4 4PH

020 7680 2702


Now that I am deemed to be an expert on where to eat in Chiswick - and I'm talking amongst my friends here, this blog has not yet become the go to site for where to eat this side of Hammersmith Bridge - though it is only a matter of time, I'm sure - I find myself poleaxed by indecision.  Not least because I can't yet go somewhere I haven't been before (Mr W would think that a criminal waste of a potential blog opportunity) but also because I feel the need to impress with my inside knowledge of all things restaurant in W4. 



So, it was a ladies night.  Wanted: food (decent), wine (plenty) and atmosphere (but not too much - we are within striking distance of middle age after all) and all within walking distance. Foxlow would appear to hit the spot.  It emerged last year after the much loved Sam's Brasserie closed - not I hasten to add because it was not doing well, but because Sam fancied life in the countryside, and who can blame him.  And in November it was shortlisted for Best Restaurant in Chiswick in the Time Out Love London Awards.



Being laydees we did the inevitable and opted for the healthy(er) fish options.  Three of us had the hake with saffron white beans and roast tomatoes and one the salmon with new potatoes, spinach and creme fraiche.  All were good though we did agree that the hake was on the lukewarm side of hot.  We shared a milk chocolate pannacotta - last of the big eaters! - which was much much nicer than it either sounded or looked.  Just look at the photo.  All washed down with, wait for it, a bottle of Pinot Grigio. (Or Pinto Grigio as it said on the bill, which sounds like a different drink altogether).



So.  I think Foxlow is perfectly nice. The food is good, the wine is decent and it has a buzz which gives it a sense that you're not in the wrong place.  But like all half decent restaurants, of which there are many in Chiswick, it's the company that really matters.  And that night it was gorgeous.


Food (for 1): £17.38
Drink: £12.75
Total: £33.66 






No comments:

Post a Comment