Monday 11 July 2016

Jackson + Rye

219-221 Chiswick High Road
W4 2DW


020 8747 1156

A birthday breakfast for the young Master West4urants, who hit 19 this year.  Any birthday celebration comes with the obligatory reminiscing on my part (Mrs W) of how I know exactly what I was doing (fill in appropriate number) years ago.  Everyone groans, of course, but that's obligatory too.  I keep telling them they'll miss me when I'm gone, though alarmingly they are becoming less and less quick to disagree.



Anyway, I digress. Jackson and Rye is where we went.  We have fewer and fewer choices these days if we're not to replicate anywhere we've been before and even fewer if you discount those that don't serve breakfast.  Not that Jackson and Rye was a hard choice, just saying.

Jackson and Rye occupies the site vacated by Jamie Oliver's Union Jacks.  It always felt like an ill-feted site - I can recall several restaurant incarnations there during my time in Chiswick but nevertheless Jackson and Rye very kindly came to Chiswick, they say, to bring us the flavour of the USA.



There were only 4 of the 5 of us, plus the dog, who was served first with a bowl of water.  The birthday boy lived up to his reputation as the family hoover and ordered the Anglers breakfast (scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, spinach and granary toast) with a Peanut Butter and Jelly Bagel on the side.



Mr West4urants, who is in training for a cycle event, was cutting the carbs in an attempt to shed a few pounds (less to carry) and went for the Ham and Cheese Omelette (without the potatoes).  Miss Elder West4urants and I had the House Roasted Granola (roast almonds, hazlenuts, cashew nuts, toasted seeds, coconut, raisins & dried cranberries with almond milk & yoghurt) and with eyes too big for my stomach I ordered a bread basket - yummy sourdough bread but the granola was more than enough.  If I had been in the USA I wouldn't have done that but being in Blighty where the portions are smaller I was hedging my hungry bets.



So, the service was good, the food was nice, the dog was looked after.  We didn't get to test the bar and the Bloody Marys which was strange considering how many teenagers I know have an unhealthy interest in vodka.  Maybe next time.




Food (for 4): £32.35
Drinks: £15.75
Total: £54.11

No comments:

Post a Comment