Thursday 11 February 2016

Kalamari

4 Chiswick High Road
W4 1TH

020 8994 4727


It wasn't quite "some of my best friends are Greek restaurants" but I'm ashamed to admit it was very much "all Greek restaurants look the same to me." 

I decided to open the conversation with "we haven't been here since you were at the end of Devonshire Road". "That's Kleftiko" the waiter (owner?) patiently replied. "I've been here 20 years and 3 months." So we'd never been before; at this rate we might squeeze in one more visit before we die. And, if we do, I have every expectation of being welcomed back like a long-lost friend, as virtually everyone else in the restaurant seemed to be. It may not be the best restaurant in Chiswick, but it must be the friendliest.



At 4 Chiswick High Road, near the junction with Goldhawk Road, Kalamari probably represents the Easternmost point of our quest.

We shared the mezedes to start, a plate of typical Greek starters: "houmous, tarama salad, tzatziki, melizano salata, tabouli" with warm pitta bread. We decided to brave the Greek wine list. The Grand Reserve was due in "tomorrow" but the Cypriot Othello was a good substitute.




Our son joined us for the main course; he can smell meat as far away as Bristol. I ordered him the stiffado and the kleftiko for myself (in honour of the restaurant's sadly departed rival). But son fancied the lamb shank for himself, leaving me to eat the best part of a cow. The website boasts of the "huge quantity" of the dishes: I don't know if they're referring to the choice or portion size but I can assure you that you will not leave hungry. My wife had the restaurant's signature dish - kalamari.



I'm sure they have some delicious puddings, but I doubt even Mr Creosote would have room.

If you haven't been before then download the voucher from the website giving first timers a 10% discount (which I only discovered after we'd been).

I'll leave you with Kalamari's own words of advice for Britons pondering the Brexit decision:

Heaven is where...the police are British, the mechanics are German, the lovers are French, the cooks are Greek...and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where...the police are German, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the cooks are British...and it's all organised by the Greeks.


Food (for 3): £58.50
Drink: £17.50
Total: £83.60

No comments:

Post a Comment